söndag 26 februari 2017

Queers, kissing and accountability

Från zinet Learning good consent (s. 6).

*
*
*


I have this muscle memory of distrust. My first instinct is to pull away; it's to push you away. I want to distrust you, I want you to push a little further because that's familiar because, "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't..." or however that goes. I want to learn how to do it differently. I want to teach my body another way of being. For me all of this learning, sex, abuse, power, crossed boundaries, panic attacks and anxiety, it all lives inside my body. My body reacts from its memory, from the ways it's learned to be.


So how do I do it differently? I work at a domestic violence organisation and my job is essentially to talk about relationships. My job is healing and triggering all at once. When I think back to crossed boundaries, to consent, to the moments I've been asked about what I want, how I want to be touched and how I don't want to be touched my answer is silence more often than not.


You can ask for consent, be willing to hear yes and no, you can be engaged and present but if I'm too hurt to sit with you, to sit in my body with my responses and feelings then where does that leave me? When I think about accountability I think about all the ways I've learned to go along with it, to make things easy and to not make waves. There are so many moments when it's easier to say nothing, to not have to speak up or define my edges for you. I get to hide in the blurriness. It feels less scary to say nothing and pickup the pieces inside of myself than say no and have to discover where I start and you stop. I get lost in the messy places between us and that's not love and that's not accountability. For me accountability is showing up with my whole self, it's being present and brave enough to actually be somewhere with someone instead of hiding in my own insecurities, fear and internalized shit. I want to do better than hiding. I know I can do better than sort of showing up.


As someone who mostly has sex with other folks socialized as girls communication around consent in my life and communities is different than how I was taught growing up. For me, being a homo has meant a shift in how I understand my role when it comes to sex. When I was younger I was less of an active participant in the sex I was having and more of a referee. I never said "touch me here" or "I like it like this" but instead let whatever boy I was kissing do whatever he thought was sexy and my job was to make sure it never went too far over the (my) line. I was a gatekeeper always guarding whatever felt like the most vulnerable part of myself. Generally, by the time I was willing to use my voice we were several steps ahead of where I actually wanted to be. I would wait until the scales tipped, until whatever sexy place we were going was scarier than saying "stop."


When I think about these interactions I'm filled with all of these contradictory things. I would call some of these experiences coercive and I struggle with the language all of the time. These are the moments when accountability feels muddled. I believe the guys I was having sexual interactions with were doing the best they could I believe that they wanted to have mutually pleasurable sex and that they wished the best for me. For me it doesn't feel like an answer to say that they were all jerks or "evil perpetrators" that I then get to demonize. I believe that the men I was being sexy with had some pretty shitty skills and fucked up expectations and they didn't know how to do it better, which doesn't mean that they shouldn't be accountable for their actions but they also shouldn't be demonized for them either. When we make people evil it dehumanizes everyone.


I'm not sure how much energy it makes sense to put into this idea because then again I'm centering on them on their experiences and not mine. But I do want to push my communities to look at accountability models. I'm not sure we have all of the skills to be enacting sustainable community accountability models at this exact moment but I think we can be talking more about sexual assault within our own radical communities and how we extend the values of community, social justice and anti-oppression into our conversations around consent and accountability in our sexual interactions.


Saying that I don't want to demonize the people who have been sexually coercive has become easier to talk about because for the most part these interactions are far away, they're in the past and none of these guys are in my life anymore. We were working off of this hetero script that says that guys are the drivers, they will go as far as they can with a girl and it's the girls job to be the breaks, always guarding against men who will try to get as much as they can from her sexually unless we put a stop to it. This script is a setup for everyone. It's a setup for the folks doing masculinity because there is no space to have a full range of emotions, to not want to have sex, or to feel anything other than sex crazed, always looking for and wanting sex. It's a setup for women because whatever happens is our fault. Either we don't say anything and silence is consent or we say speak up and we are trouble makers or prudes.


I don’t want to setup a false dichotomy that straight men are inherently coercive and queers are radical and thus having only equitable (sexual) relationship because that’s not true, and that idea is getting in the way of creating community accountability models. Homos protect the fucked up things we do to each other and it's scary to talk about because what if that proves all of the fucked up things homophobic society says about us? What if we can’t have equable relationships? What if we are pedophiles? What if we really can’t have healthy relationships? Not talking about it is not keeping us safe, it’s keeping us isolated and it’s making sure that we perpetuate the same shitty coercive dynamics that we have learned. It means that when coercion and sexual assault happens in our queer communities we don’t talk about it, we internalize our oppression and we stay hidden.


I want more models for the relationships and kinds of sex I want to be having in my life. Sometimes the queers in my life pretend that we're more radical than coercion and abuse, that this stuff doesn't affect us, and that it doesn't seep into our sex lives and relationships. Pretending that I'm more "down" than you, that I'm more radical and liberated reinforces the same stuff I'm trying to unlearn. It makes us feel like we are not enough. I'm tired of us all feeling like we're not ok. What would it look like to believe that we could do it another way, that we could do it a million other ways? What would our sexual interactions look like if we believed that we were ok, if we were allowed to be our whole selves, if we saw ourselves as whole? What would it look like to be able to sit with our fears and to engage in a process of accountability with each other? What if we were able to show up in a centered, solid, whole, and graceful way? What would accountability look like? What would we need to even imagine this?


The scariest thing I can think to say to someone that I'm having sex with is that I don't want to have sex. What does my accountability process look like around this? What does consent look like when I'm not even sure I could tell you no? I don't think this is the most loving way I can show up. When our scripts shifts and I'm the one touching you, I'm initiating sex and I'm no longer the brakes but actively engaged then what does consent look like? All of a sudden my responsibility shifts. I've trained myself to go with the flow and now I have a more equitable role in asking how you like to be touched, how you don't want to be touched, what's too light and what's not hard enough and not just once but all the time, it's a constant process of engagement. When I look at this power shift it's a re-envisioning of the sex I had when I was younger. I can feel the complexity and layers to the ways that we learn how to treat each other. You can have someone's best intentions in mind and that doesn't mean that you won't fuck up. That's the scariest thing, sometimes when it comes to crossing people boundaries it doesn't matter where your heart is. That is to say that we can be trying our best and still cross each other boundaries.


That's not to say that intention isn't important. Intention sometimes makes the difference in my healing process but mostly my experience has been that I can't really know what's happening for other folks. We have a lot invested in people that perpetrate sexual assault as evil villains and people that are surviving sexual assault as perfect angels. This narrative hurts us all because it's not about good or evil but about power. Often we get power without asking for it and giving power away can feel counter intuitive because it's something we're not taught to do and have almost no models for. Mostly people who have power and privilege don't necessarily feel like they do. So if coercion is generally about power and most people that have power don't feel like they do then where does that leave us when we're trying to negotiate sex; when we're talking about consent, how to say yes and how to say no? How do we know when we have the power, how do we figure out how to shift power dynamics and what do we do when we use our power (intentionally or not) in fucked up ways? How do we hear and respond when someone says they're not feeling heard or that they feel like their lines have been crossed? How do we honor what an amazing thing it is that someone is even able to say that at all?


Accountability is a process and part of that process is screwing up. That's so scary and so real because when the stakes are this high screwing up doesn't really feel like an option. But what if instead we see accountability as a process we get to engage with when we fuck up, that fucking up is going to happen and instead of denial and hiding, instead of saying that we didn't know any better (whether that's true or not) we apologize, figure out what was going on for us, what places inside of us our actions are centered in and then figure out what we're going to do about it. Because screwing up is a part of the deal but that doesn't mean we get to fuck up in the same way over and over again. We engage so we don't keep fucking up in the exact same ways. I want to fuck up in totally new ways.


In order to do this we have to be coming from a place where we assume that people are trying their hardest and where people really are trying they're hardest. Because the reality is that people do really shitty things to each other all of the time and frankly I don't know how to make sense of that. As a survivor of abuse, as a domestic violence advocate, as a friend and a person in community with other people I've seen and heard some of the really shitty awful things that people do to each other. Folks call us all of the time with really heavy hard stories and those are true and real and everyone makes sense of their experiences and finds healing in ways that are real for them. I feel like I can't say it too much, healing is a process.


Accountability is not taking all of the responsibility and apologizing forever. We all know the script; someone screws up and when they're called on it their response is, "It's all my fault, how could I do this, I am a terrible person, how could you even like me?" In this script the person who didn't necessarily mess up ends up comforting the person who is trying to be accountable. It's a way of looking like we're being accountability without actually having to apologize and look at our actions. Sometimes this seems almost like accountability but really it's a mask that keeps us from sitting with ourselves and getting real about what's going on with us. I choose to believe that the people in my life are doing the best they can. That doesn't mean that they get to treat me badly or do shitty things. Holding this complexity has often been very painful for me, jumping from unearned trust in people who keep crossing my boundaries and not respecting me to martyrdom, so that someone fucks up I keep throwing myself into the fire saying, "they're doing the best they can". I believe there can be a place in between, a place where I can be real with myself and present for the constant engagement it takes to be good to the people in my life and demand respect and kindness.